Getting into an accident can be a shock. No one goes out expecting to get into an accident. But, accidents do happen and they are part of being a driver. If you are a new driver or if you have never been in an accident before, you may not know what the next steps are after an accident has occurred.
There are certain steps that you need to take if you are in an accident. As a driver you need to be prepared and know what to do. With insurance fraud on the rise and with people out there that will take advantage of you, you need to know what to do to properly protect yourself.
The following are the next steps you need to follow if you get into an accident:
- Stop: No matter how minor, you need to stop if you hit another vehicle.
- Call the police: You need to call the police if the damage is more than $1000 or if someone is injured in the crash. If police are not sent (if the accident is minor) go to the nearest accident reporting center.
- Move your vehicle: Move your car out of traffic when it is safe to do so.
- Get the other drivers information: Record the other driver’s information such as name, address, make and model of the car, plate number, and insurance information.
- Write an account of the accident: Record everything that you saw/remember about the accident.
- Call your insurance provider: Call your insurance company as soon as it is safe to do so. They can advise you about what to do next.
Learn more about how an insurance broker like Insurance Hunter can help you if you are in an accident by contacting us today.