While a sewer backup is not something that you want to experience as a homeowner, it is a real risk that you need to be prepared for. The truth is that more than one-third of Toronto and Edmonton residents were not sure if their home insurance policy included coverage for sewer backups.*
With the weather becoming increasingly unpredictable in recent years, and with water damaged based claims accounting for more than half of total claims made per year, homeowners need to be proactive and take the necessary steps to protect their home and make sure they are clear about what their home insurance policy does, and more importantly, does not cover.
*Flood of information:Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction.http://www.iclr.org/images/Flood_of_information_Sandink.pdf
Consider your entire home drainage system, what type of home you have, where you live, method of servicing and your flooding history before rushing out to buy and install backwater valves or a sump pump.4
Water should drain away from your house and neighbouring homes toward the street, backyard or back lane.1
- Insurance Bureau of Canada. http://www.ibc.ca/
- Flood of Information: Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction. http://www.iclr.org/images/Flood_of_information_Sandink.pdf
- Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction. http://www.iclr.org/images/Involving_homeowners_in_urban_flood_reduction...
- Floodproof: Flood Prevention Program: http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents/Homeowners_Guide.pdf
- Insurance Bureau of Canada.http://www.ibc.ca/
Insurance Hunter - Home Flooding Caused By Sewer Backup - An infographic by the team at Insurance Hunter
Embed "Insurance Hunter - Home Flooding Caused By Sewer Backup" on Your Site: Copy and Paste the Code Below
<img src="http://www.insurancehunter.ca/sites/default/files/pictures/Infographic_V..." width="540"> Insurance Hunter - Home Flooding Caused By Sewer Backup - An infographic by the team at <a href="http://www.insurancehunter.ca/blog/insurance-hunter-home-flooding-caused...">Insurance Hunter</a>